Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cheese Sausage Strata

BIG FAT DISASTER! First you have to look at the picture. Doesn't it look yummy? I thought it looked delish in the cookbook. It was the kind of recipe you can throw together ahead of time which was perfect for my day. Breakfast for dinner. Who doesn't love that? I assembled it in the morning, cleaned up the kitchen and headed outside to do yard work. When my day was done there was nothing for me to do but sit back and relax while dinner baked. The house smelled yummy and everyone was hungry until they bit into the strata. Apparently my family doesn't like egg soaked bread. Cue gage reflexes. Over all I thought it tasted good and if you like bread pudding you'll like this. I however have been banned from making any type of bread and egg recipes in the future. Ingrates!



Recipe from Quick Cooking (2002).
Ingredients
1-1/2 lbs bulk pork sausage
9 eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups milk
9 slices bread, cubed
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
1-1/2 tsp ground mustard
Directions
In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3 quart baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350⁰F for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...