Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apple Pie Bars

Oy boy! After weeks of putting resumes out I finally got a call back. There was a catch, I had to take an office test to include Quick Books. *yikes* Even though I've never used that program I may have made it sound like I did. I'm job desperate here. So last night I read up on the program and studied more this morning. After all how hard could it be? Well it was a tad more involved than I thought. Then I find out all this work is for a temporary position that only pays $7.25/hour. What?! I really don't think it's worth me going back to work for less than $9.00/hr. Even though I feel that is low I realize I've been playing house for the last 10+ years. This left my in a grumpily funky mood which means it's time to bake. Maybe I should start a home baking business.
These apple pie bars were a lot of work and the recipe makes a huge batch. They are well worth all that work and next time around I will cut the recipe in half. Haillie downed two of them as soon as she walk in the door. That always makes me smile.
Recipe found at RecipeGirl.com.
Ingredients
CRUST
1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
FILLING
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
12 (about 6 pounds)Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup water, as necessary
TOPPING
3 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
1-1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Line a 15 x 17-inch rimmed baking sheet or jelly roll pan with parchment paper. With an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. At low speed, beat in the flour, spices and salt until a soft dough forms. Press the dough over the bottom of the prepared pan and 1/2 inch up the side in an even layer. Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and set. Let cool on a rack.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling: In a very large, deep skillet melt the butter with the brown sugar. (If you don't have a large skillet, divide between 2 skillets). Add the apples to the skillet and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook until the apples are caramelized and very tender and the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes longer; scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet and add up to 1/2 cup of water to the pan to prevent scorching. Let cool.
Prepare the topping: In a large bowl, mix the oats with the flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Using fingers (wash your hands and take off your rings first!), squeeze the butter into the oats & sugar and crumble together until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Press the mixture into clumps.
Assemble the bars: Spread the apple filling over the crust. Scatter the crumbs on top, pressing them lightly into an even layer. Bake in the center of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the topping is golden; rotate the pan halfway through baking, and keep an eye on it to make sure the top isn't getting too browned. Let cool completely on a rack before cutting into 2-inch bars.

2 comments:

Haillie said...

HELLO THAR, MUM!

I've infiltrated your blog. >8D
Ohohohoho!

Those apple pie bars are freaking amazing.

I will now proceed to bother you on facebook and IRL.

Paula said...

Those sound yummy. How can you deny how good they are when your kid comes into your blog and declares them "freaking amazing" ?
I'll have to put this one aside to try as well.
good luck on the job front. I agree, you need a certain amount of money to make it worth leaving your family.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...