Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Soft Bread Sticks

Well today did not go as planned at all! If you read the prior post you know that I was ready to mow the grass and decided to run to the market, 2 blocks away from home, to grab a chicken breast. It was just a quick trip. I had on no make-up, my hair was pulled back in a pony and wearing a t-shirt and sweats. I was going to do yard work. All I took with me was a $10 bill and car keys. I drive to the market and they have no chicken breast. *ugh* I decided to drive 20 minutes into town and quickly run into the grocery store. What are the chances that anyone I know will see me? As I pull into the grocery store's parking light a warning light for my tire pressure comes on. I checked out my tires and notice one that could use some air. No biggie. I'll stop at the gas station up the block and get some air on my way home. I run into the grocery store, trying to avoid eye contact, I really hate going out in public under dressed like I was. Grabbed some chicken, paid for it, got back in car and headed to the gas station. By the time I pull up to the air pump there is no air in my tire and I notice the air plug in my tire is broken off. Do you remember what items I brought with me? A $10 bill that was now a five and some change and my car keys. No purse. No cell phone. *sigh*
Thank God for comfort food on days like this. These soft bread sticks were soft and fluffy and went well with the cheesy chicken corn chowder. I wish they would of baked golden brown. They are very pale even after I gave them a brush of butter for flavor. Next time I will make them only six inches long, as ten was just clumsy.
Recipe found in Gooseberry Patch Taste of Autumn.
Ingredients
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
3 cups all purpose flour, divided
Cornmeal
Directions
Dissolve yeast in water; add sugar, salt and oil, stirring until dissolved. Add 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead for 6 to 8 minutes or until smooth. Place in a greased bowl; cover. Let rise for one hour; punch dough down. Divide into 12 portions; roll each into a 10" x 1/2" strip. Place on greased baking sheets lightly sprinkled with cornmeal; let rise for 45 minutes to one hour. Place baking sheets and a pan filled with boiling water in the oven. Bake at 400 ⁰F for 10 minutes or until golden. Makes one dozen.

1 comment:

Paula said...

How could you leave us hanging? What did you do about the tire?
Oh, and every single time I run out of the house with no make up on, yoga pants or hair undone, I see someone I know. It never fails.I keep my sunglasses on!

The bread looks good. I love anything that even resembles bread.
I would love to try the chowder too. Is it elsewhere on your blog? It seems like I have seen it before. If you have the link handy, I'd love it. If not, I don't mind digging :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...