Saturday, October 16, 2010

Italian Wedding Soup

Delizioso!
Dinner was a hit across the board. Haillie loves Italian wedding soup and she is the reason I finally made some. Abby loved the tiny baby meatballs. Make Abby's food cute and she will eat it. I didn't have endive so I replaced it with baby spinach. For my finicky eater I finely chopped the baby spinach and said it was seasons, like parsley. I know, I am a horrible mom but if Abby would of known it was spinach she would of spent all evening trying to pick it out. I made my meatballs smaller than the recipe called for. Using a teaspoon of meat per ball. I know some recipes suggest baking your meatballs to give them some color and reduce the grease in the soup. That is just not the way it's suppose to be done, it messes up the texture. The meatballs are meant to be boiled just use extra lean ground beef.
Recipe found at
Ingredients
Meatballs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 tbsp dry bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
Soup
5 cups chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
2 cups thinly sliced endive (I used baby spinach)
1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
Directions
To make the meatballs: Stir the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the beef and pork, then shape into 3/4 inch balls. Place on baking sheet and set aside.
To make the soup: Bring the broths to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile fill a saucepan with water and bring to boil. Add orzo to water and cook till al dente, about 10 minutes. When orzo is done, drain and add to soup. Stir in Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Sprinkle soup with parmesan cheese if desired.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...