Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mile-High Chocolate Meringue Pie

I'm about pied about. I can't wait to cut into these and take photos of what's going on inside. I baked this one for my finicky eater because who can resist homemade chocolate pudding topped with sweet fluffy meringue. Now I have a loaf of bread in the oven and I'm off to work on making some cheddar crisp crackers for the appetizer. I'm starting to slow down a nap may be in my future.
Recipe from Coming Home with Gooseberry Patch.
Ingredients
Filling
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 egg yolks, beaten
2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
Meringue
5 to 6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
6 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions
Mix sugar, cocoa, salt and flour in a medium bowl; set aside. In a deep bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce mixer to low speed; add cream of tartar. Gradually beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time; beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Set aside and continue with filling. Place egg yolks in a medium heavy saucepan; whisk in sugar mixture and milk alternately until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir in vanilla. Boil, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and beat until smooth; pour into crust. Spoon meringue over hot filling, sealing carefully to edge of crust. Bake at 350 °F until meringue is lightly golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool completely.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Everything looks so delicious! Your pies are beautiful. I'm tired just reading about all this. I realized that I'm doing none of the hard stuff this year. I guess I'm hosting the dinner so that's something.
My share is turkey (which Nick is frying outside) mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls (I do NOT make homemade, the frozen ones thank you) and pies. I made a pecan and a pumpkin. I took your idea of making baby pumpkin breads as take home gifts.
Happy Thanksgiving!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...