Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cheesecake

*warning* Just looking at the following photos will cause you to gain weight. This cheesecake is that good. *warning*
I only make this once a year because the temptation of having it in the house is too much for me. Haillie shares my love affair for cheesecakes so this makes the perfect birthday cake for her. The flavor and texture are perfect, it is delicious plain or with toppings. I made a blueberry sauce and a sour cherry sauce and then everyone can make their slice the way they like it. 041411f
There are some rules to follow when making this cheesecake.
Rule #1 All cream cheese and eggs must be room temperature. I actually leave my cream cheese out over night. I never bake anything with cold eggs. I fill up a bowl with hot tap water and let my eggs hang out there for awhile.
Rule #2 Once your cheesecake is in the oven do not open the oven door. To help prevent cracking, even though mine did this year, I place a cake pan filled with water on the rack below the cheesecake. The moisture helps prevent cracking most of the time.
Rule #3 This isn’t a quick to make cheesecake. After you take it out of the oven it needs 24 full hours or more in the refrigerator. Just overnight will not cut it.
If you do not follow these rules this is what will happen –> Haillie’s 14th birthday cheesecake. Funny thing is until I looked back at last year’s birthday post I had totally forgotten about the whole ordeal.
041411g
Download Recipe
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup butter, softened
2-1/2 lbs cream cheese, softened
1-3/4 cups white sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 ⁰F. Lightly coat a 10 inch springform pan with spray oil. To make the crust: Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Spread to the edges of the pan. Prick all over with a fork, then bake 15 minutes at 400 ⁰F. Allow to cool.
Increase oven temperature to 475 ⁰F. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1-3/4 cups sugar, 3 tbsp flour, 5 eggs and the yolks and mix thoroughly. Add cream and mix only enough to blend.
Pour filling over crust and bake for 10 minutes at 475 ⁰F. Reduce temperature to 200 ⁰F and continue to bake for one hour. Turn oven off, but leave cake in for another hour. Don't worry if it looks a little jiggly in the center.
Chill for 24 hours. This is imperative! If desired, top with your favorite fruit or serve plain.

2 comments:

USNchic said...

Thanks for sharing. Cheesecake is one of my favorite things to bake, and about the only sweet my husband will eat. :)

reesa said...

Oh my goodness that looks so darn good!!!! I've never attempted one before, you make it look not so hard! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...