Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sausage, Potato & Cheese Skillet

I am so excited to share this recipe because it's my first original. As much as I love to cook and bake I need to follow a recipe. I'm not one of those people gifted enough to throw a bunch of ingredients together and Waa Laa! a mouth watering dish is created. I can tweak a recipe but that is usually as far as it goes. This one started with the sausage and I went from there. Everyone loved it! Christopher even asked for the leftovers to be packed for lunch.
Ingredients
1 lb Johnsonville Four Cheese Italian Sausage (or your favorite)
2-3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
4 tbsp butter, divided
2 tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 tsp dried basil (I think 4-5 tbsp of fresh would be better, I didn't have any on hand)
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese (or mozzarella)
Directions
In a nonstick skillet, combine 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon oil and sausage.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium and cover skillet.  Simmer for 12 minutes, turning once.  Uncover; cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, turning often. While that is cooking in another nonstick skillet, combine 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil and add cubed potatoes. Cover for about 10 minutes turning midway through. Uncover and turn every once in a while until golden brown. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add basil and garlic and let simmer on low until potatoes are done. Once sausage is cool enough to handle cut into slices. When potatoes are done add sausage to skillet and pour basil garlic sauce on top. Stir to combine and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top. Cover and turn off heat. Serve once cheese is melted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum! I think my Lumberjack would enjoy it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...