Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Deep Dish Apple Pie

Since I'm not cooking dinner on Wednesday nights at the moment I get itching to bake. I made Christopher a deep dish apple pie, which he loves warmed up and served with ice cream. *yummers* I usually bake my pies longer than the 45 minutes recommended. I don't care for crunchy apples. I baked this pie for 60 minutes and if it starts to get too brown I just lay a piece of foil over the pie.
Ingredients
Crust:
2-2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick well-chilled Crisco shortening stick, butter flavored
6 to 10 tablespoons ice cold water
Filling:
6 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
1-1/2 tablespoons milk or cream
Whisk the flour, sugar and salt together in a medium size bowl. With a pastry blender, cut in the cold shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water over flour. Toss mixture with a fork to moisten, adding more water a few drops at a time until the dough comes together. Gently gather dough particles together into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 ⁰F. Mix apples, 3/4 cup sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in larger mixing bowl until apples are coated. Roll out dough, and put in a pie plate. Turn apple mixture into pastry lined pie dish; spread evenly. Scatter butter pieces over top of mixture. Fit top crust over apple mixture. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust around edges. Press edges together to seal; flute. Brush top crust with milk. Make slits in top crust with knife to create steam vents. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake pie until golden, 40-45 minutes.

2 comments:

Paula said...

That looks sinful.

Wendy said...

I can make this! My extended family as well as my immediate family request this from me quite often!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...