Tuesday, March 2, 2010

halushki…

I bought three heads of cabbage for the pigeons thinking I was making a double batch to share. Since that wasn't the case I have a lot of cabbage to use up. So this morning I made coleslaw which should be done by tomorrow morning. Christopher likes coleslaw while I like cream cabbage. Since I shouldn't eat raw cabbage and he'll be eating the majority of it he wins. For dinner tonight I made a ham slice and halushki on the side. *yummers* I never made it before but it turned out great. Maybe there is some Polish in me after all.
Ingredients
1 head cabbage
1 large onion
1 package kluski noodles (or egg noodles)
1/2 stick butter
salt
pepper
Directions
Shred the cabbage and chop up the onion. Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain and set aside. In a large pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until translucent. Next, reduce the heat to low. Add the cabbage to the pan and stir until cabbage is well mixed with the onion. Cover the pan with a lid, and cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Take off the lid once it is tender and continue to cook until the cabbage is browned. Mix in the noodles and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I have never seen or heard of this dish before. I do cook cabbage with onion quite a bit though, just sauteed in a little oil. Yummy! I'll have to try it with the noodles.

Mrs. S said...

Wow, this looks really good! I'll have to give it a try! My husbands family (maternal side) is polish. I absolutely LOVE their food!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...