Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Taco Cornbread Wedges w/Ranchero Cilantro Drizzle

Say that three times fast!
The originally recipe called for chicken but I had too many chicken recipes planned out for the week so I changed it to half a pound of ground beef. It tasted great! I loved the dressing and will be using the leftover portion on my salad for lunch tomorrow. I also learned a few things today…
  1. I don’t like, can’t stand, almost gage at the smell of fresh cilantro. *omg* I don’t normal cook with fresh herbs but thought I would give it a try since I’m putting in an herb garden. Cilantro is out!
  2. Dogs will eat anything that fall on the floor to include red onions & gross cilantro. Even when you tell them not too.
  3. When my meal plans fail it is not my fault but the fault of my husband’s unreliable schedule and my children’s lack of good taste buds. Bad family! Be ashamed of yourself and go straight to your rooms.

Recipe found at Picky Palate
Ingredients
Dressing
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
Filling
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/2 lb ground beef
3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 (14-1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
Crust
1 large egg
1 (7 oz) package Sweet Yellow Cornbread Mix
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup crushed corn tortilla chips
Toppings
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups shredded romaine
1 cup chopped tomatoes
Directions
Heat oven to 400°F. Combine ranch dressing, salsa and 1 cup cilantro leaves in a small food processor or blender. Process until well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat olive oil in 10-inch Lodge cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Stir in ground beef, 3 tablespoons cilantro, salt, cumin, pepper and tomatoes with green chilies; cook 5 minutes. Remove from skillet. Wipe out skillet with paper towel; grease.
Beat egg in large bowl. Add cornbread mix and milk; mix well. Place tortilla chips in greased skillet. Pour cornbread mixture over chips. Spoon chicken mixture over cornbread mixture; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges. Top with romaine and tomatoes; drizzle with dressing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...