Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pie Cake

Does that grab your attention or what? I was lucky enough to receive this delicious baked goodie from my good “real life” friend Trudy.  The concept just blew my mind. When she dropped it off we couldn’t wait to try it and so it was our dinner. I had to share it with you so I have asked Trudy to be my very first guest blogger.

So, since I am a Food Network junkie, I decided to try one of the latest desserts mentioned on one of their shows. A Pie Cake. Sounded just as crazy to me. But, sounded intriguing and sinful as well! Not sure how they put theirs together but I got to thinking. How hard could it be? So here's how I made mine.
041711a
Pre-heat oven to 350-
1 cake mix (prepared)
1- 8 inch pie (any flavor)
1- 9 inch springform pan
Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Set bowl to the side. Unwrap pie and set to the side.
Spray bottom and sides of springform pan with non-stick baking spray.
Pour 3/4 cup of cake batter on the bottom of the springform pan.
Invert pie and set in the center of batter.
Cover pie with the remaining batter. Tap the pan a few times to make sure there are no air bubbles.
This is the tricky part. I baked the cake for almost 80 minutes.
I recommend checking the cake after one hour. I used a long wooden skewer to check doneness and to check for any remaining wet batter, remembering of course that there is a pie in the middle. Check with your finger for a "solid" center to the cake baking longer if necessary.
When cake is done and you remove it from the oven, let it cool completely before removing from the springform pan. I inverted the cake onto a plate so the pie is upright when you slice into it. (sorry Michelle I forgot the right side up for yours ... lol).
041711b
*Toppings: For the chocolate cake with cherry pie I made a simple chocolate gnache topping. 8oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup cream.
For the cinnamon swirl I did a simple glaze. 1 cup confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.
I was thinking icing would be way too sweet, but its all a matter of taste.
We served ours with ice cream! Delicious!
*Note: Remember to play with flavors! The cake I made for Michelle was a cinnamon swirl cake. I used a yellow cake mix. I set aside a cup of batter and added 1 tsp. of cinnamon and a half teaspoon of vanilla. I swirled it into the cake batter on the bottom and top for a little extra flavor.
Enjoy and have fun with this. I can't wait to see pictures.
God Bless!
Trudy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...