Monday, August 2, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

This cake takes me back to my childhood. My Nana introduced me to chocolate zucchini cake & breads. I’ve been a veggie lover since I was a little girl. Even though I have my tried and true recipes I can’t help trying out new ones. This zucchini cake calls for pumpkin puree, something else I have an overabundance of in the freeze. Thanks Dad! The pumpkin makes this cake very moist and delish and the only thing I would change is the sprinkling of the chocolate chips on top. It’s way too sweet, even for my girls. Next time I will leave them out and frost it with peanut butter frosting. *yummers*
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1-1/2 cup sugar
2 whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2-1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
1 cup chocolate chips
Directions
Preheat oven to 325⁰F. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan.
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk, mix well. In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together, then add to creamed mixture and mix well. Add zucchini and pumpkin, mix until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top of batter and put in oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean, just don't stick it down through a chocolate chip!

1 comment:

Paula said...

YUMMMM! I can't wait to try this. Anyway I can sneak some veggies into my kids I will do it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...